Thursday 27 October 2011

NaBloPoMo Day 27 - Sing Live

I had two options for tonight's blog post. The only thing that prevented me from writing about Manchester City Council's proposals to close facilities at Heaton Park was the fact that I did a political post last night and I am trying hard to keep my blog more lighthearted during NaBloPoMo. Instead, I want to tell you all about one of my passions...

I joined Sing Live in 2009 to perform a concert of Big Band music. It actually seems like it's been much longer than two and a half years because I feel like it has been a long (although incredibly fun) journey between then and now. After that first concert I was privileged to join the company for the 10th Anniversary concert at the Royal Albert Hall, followed by Movie Musicals in February last year, the Beatles Story in June the same year, and then Magical Musicals in June this year. Last summer I also performed with Sing Live on the channel 5 TV show, Don't Stop Believing. Looking back, it's no wonder that it feels like more than a couple of years!

In case you haven't come across Sing Live before now, it is a company aimed at sharing the joy of singing with everyone. The founding principle is 'ordinary people doing extraordinary things in exciting places' and when I think, not just about the venues that I've performed in, but also the ones I haven't been able to join for (Disney World in Florida, Venice, Cruises and even The Vatican) that guiding idea is certainly coming true. Almost everyone I know within Sing Live is an amateur. We are literally ordinary people - very few are exceptionally talented, including me - but we get to sing in amazing places. And it isn't as if we're bad - we are skilled, disciplined and Sing Live concerts are always of the highest possible standard. There are no auditions to join, which means that whether you sing in public or just in the shower, you can participate, and the group environment is a great place to sing while feeling supported and safe.

When I think about my journey with Sing Live, that's exactly what I needed, especially at the beginning. I used to sing when I was in school, but hadn't done any singing (other than along with the car stereo) for well over 10 years. I have no illusions about my ability but I really felt, despite getting a lot out of singing, that I couldn't sing. I felt very out of practice and very unsure of myself. Over the course of the past couple of years, I have got back into the groove and grown in confidence. I've even tried out for solos, and recently started personal singing tuition to help me improve further. And all of that is down to the friendly, nurturing environment that Sing Live provides.

Our next concert starts rehearsing in early November and we will continue through until early February, when we perform at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester. If you are a frustrated (or not so frustrated) singer, come along to one of our preview nights next Wednesday or Thursday. If you don't want to sing, why not come to our concert. Even if you don't live in the Manchester area, Sing Live operates across the UK and also in Florida. More details available from the Sing Live website.

No comments: