Saturday 29 October 2011

NaBloPoMo Day 29 - Another day, another chance to sing

This will probably be a fairly quick one, mainly because I need to get out with the dog and I want to finish watching X-Factor but I really wanted to mention a cool (in more ways than one) thing that I did today.

Today, England played Wales in the Rugby League Four Nations competition at the Leigh Sports Village. I, along with a bunch of my fellow Sing Live members were fortunate and honoured to have the chance to sing the national anthems on the pitch before the start of the match.

It was an early start, to get up, dog walked, both of us fed and watered, showered (that's me, not the dog), dressed and out the door to get to Pennington Flash before 9.30am. Arrival at the car park set the pattern for the day: standing around in the cold. We had a very successful rehearsal in the stadium - although the groundsman gave strict orders to stay off the pitch - and considering that it was the first chance we had to try the two anthems with the band and with each other, I think that on its own was an achievement. After some car moving and lunch, we had a blessedly warm practice in the dressing room and then lined up to go out on the pitch for the performance. Unfortunately the lining up was outside and it hadn't warmed up much since the morning, and then even when we got out on the pitch we were waiting for around twenty minutes before the actual singing. By the time we'd finished, I had cramp in one foot and in my hand but it was a great experience and I would do it again a million times... in fact I am doing it again in November in Hull for Wales v Australia.

Sure, there were a few issues surrounding car parking and I had to move my car a total of three times, and there really was a lot of standing around in the cold, but that can hardly be helped. Overall, it was a generally well organised day and we were provided with a really nice lunch and the people who looked after us we great and made sure we had everything we needed.The Welsh National Anthem is a beautiful melody and I thoroughly enjoyed learning and singing it. Although I think I'm going to have to find a harmony for the next time we do it because it's ridiculously high. And despite what people say, I think God Save the Queen is a stirring anthem and it's a pleasure to sing. The soloist was a lovely young singer named Megan Armstrong, who (I'm told) is the brother of a young rugby star. She was fantastic and has a stunning and powerful soprano voice and she looked amazing in a black sparkly number for the performance. And all of this was possible with Sing Live.

I know I've beaten this drum before, but I really do think that Sing Live is the best opportunity for ordinary people like me, who can hit a note, but have a thoroughly ordinary voice, to sing in brilliant venues and at big events like this. As my husband said earlier, this is the second time I have been on TV in just over a year. Short of getting on one of the talent contests (not going to happen!) how else would I get that chance?

No comments: