Monday 24 October 2011

NaBloPoMo Day 24 - X Factor Live Shows Week 3

What a week on X Factor. It is rare indeed that I don't watch the Saturday night show and have an act (or sometimes several) that I either think will go, or wish would go, particularly this early on. I felt that everyone put in a good performance and as a result, the show was a pleasure to watch. Here's a few thoughts on the four categories and this week's result.

The Boys category took the lead into the show this week with a tremendous opening from hairdresser, Marcus Collins. His vocal could have been stronger but I felt his performance was well rounded and, as always, his fantastic personality shone through. Frankie Cocozza was much better this week - wooing the ladies and getting rat-arsed obviously works for him. (Hrrrmmmm!) Frankie has the weakest voice of all the contestants (including many of those that have already gone) but his strength is his stage presence and 'cheeky lad' character. As long as he and Gary continue to play up to that he will be alright. Craig disappeared into the background a little this week and I felt he was somewhat at risk. He has a great voice and a lovely personality (he comes across as being very personable on Twitter - @CraigColtonUK) and when he has the right song he can really emote, but I can't help but feel that Rock Week isn't his gig.

The Girls category put in another solid performance this week. Janet brought a slightly insipid version of Sweet Child of Mine, but I can't fault her vocal. She was lacking a little bit of sparkle, but in the grand scheme of things she was still a joy to watch. Sophie is emerging as a potential dark horse now. She is starting to show a bit more of her gutsy personality, which is a pleasure to see. Her verson of Living on a Prayer was probably the best version of it, bar the original; I've heard it sung a lot of different ways, and I've head it murdered a lot of different ways, but Sophie's version was excellent. Of course (and this is the only sad thing) is that both Janet and Sophie, no matter how talented, pale in comparison to Misha B. The girl is a great character, a great performer, has a great look and a great brand. She's hard working, dedicated and has a genuine feel for 'the biz'. It's a sign of her threat to the other categories and contestants when Tulisa and Louis feel the need to character assassinate her, live on stage. More on that in a moment.

I felt that the weakest category overall this week was the Groups, although this was due in part to Tulisa not understanding the challenge (Has she never watched this show before????) and, certainly for The Risk, a weakened team through illness. I have enjoyed both groups in previous weeks but I thought that this week was Rhythmix's weakest performance vocally, but their song was rubbish and the vocal arrangement was a train wreck. Tulisa had better up her game next week if she doesn't want to lose her girls. The Risk were the beet of the two groups and the arrangement for Crazy was actually really quite inventive, although it lends itself to a four-part better than the Push It Mash-up that the girls had.

Finally, the Over 25s were super this week. Like Kelly, I think of Johnny as my guilty pleasure. I loved his performance this week (although it got a bit slap-dash at the end) and the styling this week was brilliant. The thing that really entertains me though is the banter with Gary. Long may it continue! Sami, I fear, was let down by her mentor. Why is it that Louis can't see past the cruise-ship/lounge singer styling and song choice. Sami has a belting voice and deserved a better shot than Louis was able to give her. I am disappointed that she suffered as a result. As for Kitty, my personal opinion of her hasn't changed. But like her or loathe her, she can sing and she can perform. I hate to say it, but I felt this week was her strongest performance to date and it put her right up there with the best acts on the night. I predict, however, that the public will not warm to her and she will fnd herself in the bottom two again. If she comes up against a more commercial and popular act, she will be out.

So, overall, an entertaining showcase of genuine talent. I found it hard to pick the loser this week and I was sad that it was Sami, particularly since I feel that she was not given the best chance of success because of her mentor. On that note, Louis is in hot water at the moment because of his accusation of bullying against Misha B, and rightly so. It was a terrible thing to say, especially for the sake of gaining an advantage over your competition. The press (and the public) are beying for blood and I tend to agree; Louis is past his sell-by date (it's nothing to do with his age, it's to do with his ability to mentor and judge the competition) and I would like to see him replaced. Rumours circulate that Simon Cowell could be returning, but I feel that would be a mistake. I would like to see a younger artist take Louis's place however my feeling is that it's not going to happen. We'll wait and see.

No comments: