Saturday 15 October 2011

NaBloPoMo Day 15 - X Factor Live Shows Week 2

It was a great show tonight and I had that rare pleasure of watching live - ordinarily I record it and watch it back the next day to spare hubby the 'pain' of having to sit through it but there was nothing else on so I won... DEFAULT DEFAULT DEFAULT!

I think tonight's show demonstrated just how strong the field is this year. In past years there has always been a mish-mash of talent when it comes to the first couple of live shows, mostly, I think, due to the pressure. This year, however, there is plenty of talent on display and it is actually very refreshing.

The Groups opened the show this week with one of the weakest performances of the night from boy-band, Nu Vibe. Louis nick-named them No Vibe, which, despite their decidedly average performance, is a bit unfair. They were much improved on the previous week and it was easy to see why they had got through. However, it was just an average performance when taken in context and opening the show is always the worst slot, so I fear they will be in the bottom two, and will probably be going home tomorrow night. Of the other two groups, The Risk put in another solid performance, although the start of their number was a little dodgy. I wasn't sure whether it was the vocal or that the sound balance was off. But even so, it was a good performance. Rhythmix were the stand-out act in the group category for me. These four girls look great, sound great and do something a little bit different from the usual girl-band type of stuff. They feel fresh and new without being weird. They're comfortable on stage and so that makes them easy to watch. For the first time ever, I have voted in the first show and I voted for these girls. I'd like to think that's a sign that they are something special.

I think the Girls category was probably the strongest overall tonight. Misha B is a genuine pop-star. She has the look, the personality and above all the voice to be something really special but she is humble with it. It's like she knows she's good, but that she relies on the goodwill of others to carry her, and she's OK with that. Janet Devlin put in another lovely performance tonight too. She has a beautiful voice that is unique, which makes her ideal as a recording artist. She was a little downbeat in her performance, and her personality didn't come through, but I think that's to be expected due to the bereavement. What a little trooper. Finally, Sophie Habibis is the big question mark for me. When I hear her sing, I think she could be the dark horse and sneak up on this contest. Normally, this would be the kind of contestant that lingers in the background for a few weeks and then suddenly shines and goes on to be very successful. However, I wonder how much time she has. The competition is tough this year.

The Boys category also had some highs and lows for me. Lets talk about Frankie Cocozza. I completely understand why he's there, and I do agree that he deserves it because he knows how to put on a good show. But the song choice this week left him completely exposed. He was uncomfortable (probably due to the late change) and although it was a song that suited his vocal, it's also one that is impossible for him to hide in. The weaknesses in his voice were all too obvious and I wonder if he will survive. Both Marcus and Craig put in great performances tonight. They are strong contenders and I hope they both stay for a few more weeks at least.

Finally, the Over 25s category. This is still a category that is suffering rather than benefiting from Louis's guidance. Sami was first up with her stunning diva voice, but the song was hopeless. The problem with a song as iconic as 'I Will Always Love You' is that it is impossible to make it sound anything other than a cover of Whitney and it's so rooted in pop-culture that it shows it's age. Of course, Sami nailed it and made it appear effortless, so that should see her through but I hope that Louis starts listening to some contemporary music to find her something better for next week. Johnny is my guilty pleasure in this contest. Far from being the light entertainment like Jedward were, he has talent and he puts on a show. He didn't get great comments and I know he has his haters, but I love him to bits. Now... Kitty... her performance tonight was flawless. She took another old and iconic song but did make it a bit different and I thought her stage presentation was brilliant. Having said that, I find her so utterly fake that I can't believe her or her performance. I find her cocky and arrogant, and I actually wouldn't mind that (because the world is full of cocky an arrogant people and she has incredible talent, so would perhaps, be justified in her cockiness and arrogance) but she tries to hide it. She stands on the stage trembling and meekly thanking the judges for their comments, but it's a lie. You can see it in her eyes.

So, my prediction for the bottom two is Nu Vibe for sure and maybe Kitty, just because the public aren't warming to her. It should probably be Nu Vibe and Frankie Cocozza, but I can't see that happening. Marcus could be at risk, because I'm not are how strong his following is. I would be genuinely surprised if it was anyone else in the bottom two. I think Nu Vibe are going home tomorrow night. I still think Misha B could win this year. In the meantime, I will be looking forward to more from the girls and from Rhythmix in particular.

No comments: