Saturday 22 October 2011

NaBloPoMo Day 22 - The Black Lion

So, NaBloPoMo day 21... that's three weeks... only another week and a bit and it'll be Nanowrimo and I'll really have my work cut out for me!

Before I get into tonight's blog proper, a quick mention for my colleague and friend, Liz Kirk, who is 26 today. Happy Birthday, Road Safety Princess.

Another landmark event that happened today was me reading my local paper. It doesn't happen often; mostly when I have time (rare) and hubby hasn't already eaten it (even more rare). There was one story in particular that caught my attention. It was a little story written by my favourite journalist, Pamela Welsh, and it was about a local pub.

The Black Lion on Chapel Street in Salford closed last year. The ailing venue was bought by a local film company, FutureArtists, and re-opened at the end of September. The new owners invested £4,000 to revamp the pub and have not only breathed new life into a local watering hole, they have als created a venue fo local performers, artists and musicians. Work from local artists will be exhibited in the bar while upstairs will be transformed into a cinema, which will open next month, to show the films of FutureArtists and other local film-makers.

This is fantastic news. What an innovative idea to benefit the community and independent businesses, performers and artists. Well done to FutureArtists and to the pub landlord, Barry Phillips. I hope that this is a successful venture. Hubby and I will certainly be supporting it and I hope that others will do the same.

You can see what's on at the FutureArtists website.

No comments: