Friday 21 October 2011

NaBloPoMo Day 21 - Corrie

I admit it. I watch a lot of television. In fact, I would wager that I watch too much television. But it has been said (by Liz at work) "Do you watch any TV?" mainly because I don't watch soaps. It's a fact that the TV that I choose to watch, althoughly hugely popular, has more of a niche appeal that the stuff that most of my colleagues are in to.

However, tonight, while sharing a take out with my 'sistah from another mistah', I watched Coronation Street and actually really enjoyed it.

I don't really know why I never bothered with Corrie. Eastenders is too depressing, Hollyoaks is too young and pretty, Emerdale is too... well let's put it this way, I have concerns for the wellbeing of the sheep. But Corrie is friendly, it's neighbourly (being set in Salford, where I live) and it's familiar. My Nanna used to watch it religiously and the theme tune is something I grew up with that still creates a little warm feeling when I hear it. So many great actors and actresses have come through the show, including the wonderful Betty Driver, who passed away last weekend.

Of course, the acting is a little ropey in places and the dialogue is somewhat tedius at times, but it has emotion and, more importantly, a sense of humour.

It was pleasant entertainment and, while I don't think I am going to start watching it regularly, like my Nanna used to, I was impressed by how comfortable it was to watch and surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I may have to start paying a little bit more attention.

No comments: