Saturday 8 October 2011

NaBloPoMo Day 8 - Rain Rain Go Away

Having a dog is great. When I was growing up my Mum always said no when I asked to have a dog. She was quite right when she said that she'd end up looking after him or her because what child has the attention span to want to get up early and go to bed late so that the dog can be walked three times a day? When we did eventually get a dog she was like my best friend and then when I had to leave home and leave her behind (and of course when she eventually passed away) I missed her terribly. It took years before hubby and I felt that we could justify having a dog ourselves. Both working full time, we have always been conscious that a dog would be shut in alone for most of the day, but then Steve started working shifts so the dog is rarely home alone.

When we got Dexter I felt like a hole in my life had been filled. I was always meant to have a dog (I guess that's the very definition of a dog person) so having him around has genuinely been fullfilling. There are days though when I could wish for things to be a little bit different.

I would never regret getting our boy and I wouldn't want to give him up, but getting up early every morning can sometimes be a bit of a drag. It's also an inconvenience when you're ill and still have to take the dog out for walks, even though you feel like collapsing when you walk from the bedroom to the bathroom and back again. And you really notice the weather when you have a dog.

It has rained non-stop today, varying from light drizzle to rain to heavy downpour. So far today I have got wet once and soaked twice and this weatheris set to continue for several more days. Even Dexter doesn't like the rain. But unfortunately for me, he likes his walks more so off out we must go, weather be damned. So for now I will suck it up and quietly chant (while getting wet AGAIN) "rain rain go away, come again some other day".

No comments: