Wednesday 12 October 2011

NaBloPoMo Day 12 - Alexi Murdoch

His music is generally unappreciated but it is his album, Time Without Consequence, is the last thing I listen to at night and the first music I listen to in the morning. It's a relaxed, laid back style of music, but for all its gentleness, is no less complex than any other great music.

Time Without Comsequence is a delicate mix of guitar, piano/keyboard, and drum work with meaningful lyrics and a simple vocal that is complimentary to the music. It has modern folk vibe, a little like Newton Faulkner in some respects, although more heartfelt with less sass.

My favourite track on the album is Breathe, which curiously enough, just started playing as I typed this. It's charming and lyrical with a catchy chorus that I find utterly irresistible.

I first came across the album through Prison Break - I forget which season - when the track 'Home' was used in a suicide scene. It's a strange combination, but one that genuinely works to give the scene the impact that it deserved. Tracks from the album were also used on the soundtrack to the movie 'Away We Go' starring Maya Rudolph (Bridesmaids) and directed by Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Revolutionary Road) and while I don't much care for the movie because I find it a little aimless in terms of the plot, Alexi Murdoch's music is the perfect partner to the movie's best scenes.

Alexi Murdoch was born in London and raised in Scotland. He now lives in New York and has a small house on the west coast of Scotland. The irony is, despite the fact that he is a UK born artist that still bases himself here at least some of the time, when I bought the CD album for my Dad, I had to import it from the US. He is, however, available on iTunes, so why not check him out.

No comments: