Sunday 8 March 2009

New Trek Trailer

OK, so the voicings of my blog have been far too preachy, far too ranty and far too whingey of late. Time for upbeat happiness!

A new Star Trek trailer has been released.

Despite being a devoted Trekkie for most of my life, I can hardly claim to have been excited at the prospect of the new Trek Fest, even with JJ Abrams at the helm (who, in my opinion is a god among men, rather like my other most favourite artists: Aaron Sorkin and Peter David). It's my love of the Trek icon that made me sigh with despair when the new movie was announced. Voyager was supremely disappointing and could have been so much better if the folks in charge hadn't become bored by it. However, Enterprise was the really crushing blow. Could the franchise take the weight of another 're-imagining'? I feared it might not. And as someone who would kinda like to have the many Trek stories that are banked up in my brain unleashed on the world, that prospect worried me. Casting did briefly peak my interest - Zachary Quinto as Spock is inspired and Simon Pegg as Scotty is.... interesting - but I still didn't feel that enamoured, particularly as the first couple of trailers were rather bland. The most recent one, however? Now that's more like it...


Check it out: http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

Time will tell if it's as good as the franchise deserves or the name 'JJ Abrams' promises, but for one bright, shining moment I'm hopeful.


While we're talking movie trailer eye candy, another one that's worth a look (hubby stumbled across it on Friday) is 'Knowing' with Nick Cage. As an actor, Cage's roles are bit hit and miss. He's done some great stuff like Con Air, Lord of War and Gone in Sixty Seconds; and he's done some utter tripe! (Need I mention The Wicker Man, World Trade Centre and Ghost Rider?) The premise of this movie is a bit like Next - predicting the future and preventing disaster - and I suspect Cage will play pretty much the same character. But that's OK, because he always plays the same character! This is not going to be intellectually chellenging, but I'll settle for something that's lightly thought provoking with lots of cool special effects. Either way, the trailer looks interesting!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/summit/knowing/

2 comments:

gawain said...

I cannot get used to the idea of other actors playing Kirk, spock and McCoy so I am not excited about the movie. I grew up with the old series.

PS are you going to meet up with Mel when she comes to England next month?

Steve said...

Fire everything! LOL.