Friday 2 January 2009

Resolve

In 2000 I started working for QVC in London, making a weekly commute to and from Manchester by train and lodging in Croydon during the week. I did this for 18 months, working 12 hour shifts, one week on, one week off. I loved it, but the disruptive pattern took its toll and I went from an already overweight 13 stone up to a shocking 16 stone. Returning to a normal pattern of three square meals a day and a normal working day improved matters but I added a further two stone to my girth before the weight gain stopped.

In 2006 I managed to lose one and a half stone but last year I only managed to maintain my weight. Of course, being skinny is not my ultimate goal. I have never really suffered from the self-image issues that others do so I'm not bothered about looking like a mo-delle: I would rather have curves! However, I have two reasons for wanting to get my weight in check. First is the obvious health issues and benefits. Being obese puts me at risk of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, osteoarthritis and more. Second, in order to have a family, we need IVF, which can only happen if I lose weight.

And so, New Year's resolution numbers two and three is to lose weight and to be more active.

5 comments:

gawain said...

Have you ever had help with trying to lose weight? I did a few years ago and changing my habits and not even eating that much less helped a great deal. I hope you succeed in your goals! I don't like skinny either, it's just the health risk.

Mieke

Kat Middleton said...

Hi Mieke, thanks for the advice! Also, it's nice to know someone's reading the blog. :o)

I'm not really one for weight loss groups like Weight Watchers and Slimmers World, for many reasons, but mostly I don't believe they will work for me long term. I need smaller life changes not faddy diets! ;o) As for doctors, the UK NHS is an increasingly costly waste of space... unless you have something easy to diagnose, like an arm falling off or something. :-p

gawain said...

I love blogging! Started my own a few months ago. http://ragnel.blogspot.com/
And I really like it and it is good to get comments. :)
here we have dietists. [don't know if it is the same word in english] the health service paid for it. They ask first after your reasons for eating and then together with them you make a plan that you think you can stick to. For me it meant almost giving up sugar. Pretty hard, especially the first weeks. But it made me feel much better and I lost weight as well. I don't think I eat less nnow, just very different.

Kat Middleton said...

In the UK we call them dietitians but you usually only get referred to a dietitian if you have an eating disorder or have special dietary needs, like a food allergy, diabetes or similar. Fortunately, I already have a pretty good idea of what I need to do (or not! hehe!) As a self confessed foody, I need good tasty healthy food, small treats (rarely) and lots more exercise! Like you said, dieting is not about eating less, it's about eating better! ;o)

Love your blog, by the way. Thanks for the address...

gawain said...

Here it is a bit easier to get that referral. But it does sound like you have a pretty good idea of what to do. Good luck!!!

Mieke