Sunday 3 October 2010

Fame Without Heart

I love movies. In all shapes and sizes. These days I don't get to the cinema for the latest releases very often, but I watch movies on Sky and I have a Lovefilm account to boot. It takes me a while, but I usually get around to seeing everything I want, sooner or later.

I remember when the Fame remake was out at the cinema last year. I wanted to see it with my mate, Claire. I always loved the original, including it's classic '80s theme tune and, as girls, this sort of girlie movie is right up our street. Unfortunately, we never quite got around to seeing it so I was pleased when I noticed it was on Sky this afternoon.

It wasn't well received last year. Film critics and movie goers seemed to agree that it was a poor remake. But, being stubborn, I generally like to make my own decisions. I wasn't expecting much and 'not much' is precisely what Fame delivered.

It's a broad retelling of the classic movie. The structure of the plot and the various situations that are employed are similar, but for some odd and unexplained reason, all the character names have been changed. It is by no means identical to its predecessor but the bones of the original story are still there.

Although the bulk of the cast are little-known actors, (most of the actors playing the students had only done TV bit parts or uncredited work before) the makers did managed to secure some serious experience and talent. Kelsey Grammer, Bebe Neuwirth and Charles Dutton are all superb in their roles. Charles Dutton in particular is charming as the acting coach, Mr Dowd. Despite their lack of previous experience, there are some other surprisingly impressive performances too. Kay Panabaker (currently starring in superhero drama, No Ordinary Family) is beautiful and vulnerable as Jenny Garrison and Collins Pennie does a nice job with tough, yet sensitive, Malik Washburn. All the actors are clearly talented; dancing, singing and playing their way through Fame with conviction.

Director, Kevin Tancharoen, has experience directing musically themed TV shows and documentaries and his experience is shown in the visual and musical styling of the movie. Fame is visually appealing: There are some spectacular scenes, like the school 'CarnEvil' (I'm guessing this was supposed to be a Halloween Party) and the end of school show. And, as one might expect for a film about a performing arts school, it is musically interesting too, although the soundtrack is unlikely to appeal to someone who doesn't like hip-hop.

So why doesn't it work?

The problem with the 2009 version of Fame is all too obvious (and all too common). The weakness is not in the acting, the directing or the sound. The blame for this movie abomination lies firmly with the writer. Perhaps Allison Burnett has tried too hard to maintain the structure of the original, or perhaps it's because the characters aren't her own (new names, same stereotypes). Or perhaps the screenplay falls foul of the performing arts, collapsing under the weight of the visual and musical style. Either way, the retelling of this classic drama is undramatic and soulless. Sure, the actors do a good job with what they have been given, but tragically, what they've been given is one-dimensional and uninspiring. The acting performances are individually pleasing, but the characters are shallow and move around the flat world in near isolation. They don't grow or develop and crucial moments, like Kevin's near suicide, don't have any lasting affect.

When I think back to the 1980 original, I think of memorable characters on a journey of self-discovery, facing personal and professional challenges. It's a story that has heart; the one thing that the 2009 remake completely lacks. What a waste.

No comments: