Wednesday 11 February 2009

Apple's Got the Microsoft Bug

Just when I thought it was safe to come out from under the technological bed it seems that my beloved Apple has gone all Microsnot on me!

For years I have been convinced that there is a conspiracy on behalf of Bill Gates to consistently release rubbish software that you constantly have to update to try and improve. Invariably updates usually lead to more problems... I mean 'undocumented features' and the need to perform more updates. Occasionally they fix an issue or two only to introduced at least one or two brand new issues just to keep you on your toes. Of course, each update takes up more space on your HD and slows down your operating system so that eventually you despair and go out and buy a new computer in the vague and often futile hope that this time out something will be different. As such, for the last few years I have been cursing the name Microsoft and setting my sights on that lovely shiny thing of beauty known as MacBook.

Unfortunately, it seems that even Apple aren't immune to the Microsnot virus. Recently, after encountering a problem downloading a track from iTunes (one that was caused by my shoddy wireless connection, not iTunes itself!) I made the decision to update my software before attempting to re-download the damaged track. Oh boy!

I have spent the last two weeks trying to get iTunes up and working again, each time spending H-O-U-R-S trying to rebuild my library (8+ GB of data) and each time encountering errors. Finally, after much messing around, I have discovered that millions of others are having similar problems because - basically - iTunes 8 doesn't work.

As I type I am downloading an old version. Hopefully now I can go back to the good old days of functioning software. Then again, maybe I am becoming delusional from all the faffing of the past two weeks! *sigh*

No comments: